The Violet gown. This becomes possibly the aspect I became most concerned approximately when we decided to produce Willy Wonka. Here are the stairs I took and how it became out.
How to Make Violet Beauregarde Costume
Items you want:
- Largest Blue Maxi Dress you could find. It’ll be nice if it’s sleeveless & has an empire waist (Mine changed into a 3XL from Target),
- White Long-Sleeved Shirt
- Thick Elastic Belt (I used a red one)
- Inflatable Suit with skin-toned arms and legs
- High White Socks
- Bike Shorts
- Blue Jersey Fabric
Once you’ve got all of the components, this dress is honestly all about the assembly. The one aspect I did beforehand turn into cut a slit up the returned of the dress and stitch in a triangle-shaped piece of blue jersey fabric in order that the get dressed should without a doubt develop big. Without it, the fit handiest inflated a touch under the weight of the get dressed and didn’t have plenty effect.
Assembly (or as an alternative, getting Violet dressed):
- First, begin with something non-cumbersome for Violet to put on as a base.
- Put on the inflatable suit and hook battery p.C. With on/off transfer to the pinnacle behind the neck.
- Put on the long-sleeved blouse, motorbike shorts and socks and stuff the inflatable match into them making it as flat as viable.
- Put on maxi get dressed, cinch it in with the belt and modify cloth.
*Notes: High socks are critical to maintaining the inflatable match from extending out and being seen while the dress lifts up.
First, the actor wishes to discover a time offstage to take off the bike shorts preserving the suit down below her get dressed.
The actual inflation part requires some trial and blunders during your run through. I discovered with my Violet/get dressed/fit combo it to 30 seconds to inflate. I had Violet’s mom discretely switch the fit on that’s why you need the smooth get admission to at the neck for the battery p.C. Is so important. Violet and/or her mother then popped off the belt which allowed the dress to extend.
I had toyed with the concept of cutting a hole inside the get dressed for the healthy’s fan but determined that it might worm me to see it in the course of the entire show so I left the get dressed in tact. Just left on its personal, the get dressed prevents the suit from inflating but I made it part of my actress’s blocking off to tug on the cloth of her get dressed like she became getting uncomfortable together with her pores and skin increasing. With 3 or four true pulls of the dress away from the fan, it inflated flawlessly!
*Note: Sadly there was one show wherein the match didn’t inflate because of the fan piece falling off interior. We found it turned into simply screwed on very lightly with a round plastic piece. A little warm glue made sure that never passed off once more. Lesson discovered.