How to Make a Solar Panel with Soda Cans – Traditional solar panels carry photovoltaic cells that use materials such as silicon to transform the energy of sunlight into electricity. Although cans of refrigerant do not even have the capacity to convert photovoltaic cells, it is possible to make a panel that will turn solar energy into thermal energy. On a sunny winter day, you can reduce your heating bill a bit by adding this panel to the power system.
What do you need?
- 2.5 cm drill bit
- Aluminum Cans
- Exterior enamel paint
Easy Steps to Make a Solar Panel with Soda Cans
- Decide the size of the panel you want to make and collect enough empty aluminum cans to fill it. The standard plywood sheet is 1.20 MX 2.40 m, which would be a good starting point. A smaller panel would be easier to carry but would generate less heat.
- Rest the plywood sheet on the floor. Place the aluminum cans on the sides for full size, leaving between 2cm and 5cm of space at the top. Mark the entire panel with a pencil and add 6 cm around all four sides of the grid to the sides of the frame. Also, mark the rectangle.
- Cut pieces of wood 5cm x 10cm, to make the sides of the frame on the outside of the area of the cans. The pieces should form a rectangle. Slip along the edges of the wood, turn the pieces and place them in the plywood. Make sure there are no rifts in the corners. Let the caulk dry.
- Turn the panel up so that it stands vertically in front of you. Using a 2.5 cm drill bit drill a hole in the sides of the cans, forming a line at the bottom, near the bottom of the cans. Apply the caulking to the bottom of each can and place them on the panel, making sure to place the holes in your direction.
- Drill holes in the bottom of all remaining cans, and there are already holes in the tops. Remember that hot air rises and this will cause heat to flow through the entire panel. Apply caulking to the bottom of each can and place them in place at the top of the bottom cans, filling the grid almost to the top.
- Paint the cans with black enamel paint, which will conduct the heat more efficiently. Let the caulking and paint dry.
- Make a hole in the head of the panel that fits the size of the vacuum tube. The hose will direct the heat to wherever you want it to go. Then apply caulking on the exterior of the hose and slide it into the panel. Secure the hose so that it can dry in place.
- Cut the fiberglass sheet with the cutter so that it covers the front of the panel, with space to caulk the 5 cm x 10 cm pieces. Lay the frame down horizontally, apply caulking on the wood and place the fiberglass in place. Let the caulk dry. The panel is ready.